You have probably heard about the Covenant of Mayors – Europe a thousand times, but do you really know what opportunities it offers for regions and energy agencies? We have summarised all you need to know here below, including how to get involved in the CoM-Europe’s brand new capacity-building programme.
What’s the Covenant of Mayors – Europe?
The Covenant of Mayors for Climate and Energy – Europe (CoM – Europe) brings together local/regional authorities and entities voluntarily committed to implementing the EU’s climate and energy objectives on their territory. This unique bottom-up movement, which started in 2008 with the support of the European Commission, now counts +10.000 Signatories, +200 Territorial Coordinators and +200 Official Supporters.
Signatories (municipalities) commit to developing Sustainable Energy and Climate Action Plans (SECAPs) and to implementing local climate change mitigation and adaptation actions.
What’s in for Regions and Energy Agencies?
Regional and sub-regional public authorities are invited to join the Covenant of Mayors as Territorial Coordinators.
Energy Agencies Energy agencies are invited to join the Covenant of Mayors Community as Official Supporters.
Both Coordinators and Supporters commit to support the municipalities within their geographical scope, by providing technical guidance/assistance, fostering adhesion and networking, supporting knowledge sharing and peer learning among municipalities.
They also benefit from:
- Endorsement and recognition from the European Commission;
- High visibility at EU and international level;
- Support in the promotion of regional activities, through the publication of news on the Covenant of Mayors – Europe wesbite, participaton in CoM – Europe webinars / workshops as speakers, publication of regional good practices, etc.
- Networking with other energy agencies, cities, regional authorities and experts in sustianable energy and climate change, as well as with high representatives of the EU Commission;
- Knowledge sharing and capacity building activities;
- And so much more.
Capacity building opportunities
The Covenant of Mayors – Europe Office organizes a number of webinars / workshops and other capacity building activities every year.
Moreover, it launched on the 7th of February 2022 the new edition of its peer learning programme.
Registrations are open until the 25th of March 2022.
Opportunity for Regions and Energy Agencies
Regions, sub-regional authorities and energy agencies, already member of the Covenant of Mayors – Europe or that will complete the registration process by June 2022, can participate in 2 peer learning activities:
- Expert mission. During the programme, the learning entity will be supported in overcoming a challenge / problem faced in the development or implementation of its long-term strategy for climate and energy or in the develpment / implementation of local plans for their cities. The Expert Mission will be carried out through both online and physical meetings. During the physical meeting, the learner will host the experts for 2 days, and will receive a compensation of up to 500 Eur for the successful implementation of the action. Mentoring regions / energy agencies will receive a lump sum of 1500 Eur after completion of the learning programme and the reimburement of up to 750 Eur for their travel costs.
- Peer Review, acting as mentors. During the programme, the regional / sub-regional authorities and the energy agencies will support signatories (up to 2 cities/municipalities) by reviewing their SECAP and support them in its successful submission.
Join the Peer Learning Programme
By now, you have understood it: joining the CoM – Europe Community will offer you incredible benefits and opportunities, including access to its peer learning programme. So, what are you waiting for?!
For further information on the peer learning programme or on the role fo supporters / territorial coordinators, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.